Mornings can be manic for the best of us, especially when we have kids as well as ourselves to get ready. So anything that helps ease the rush is certainly welcome, which is why these yummy pots of goodness are so popular in my house. You actually put them together the night before, and then just pop them in the fridge to eat for next day’s breakfast, or whenever you want something ultra quick and nutritious. Since they’ll last a couple of days in the fridge, I usually make up extra so when my seven-year-old has after-school munchies, I have a healthy option to give him, instead of the biscuits and other processed food we both used to scoff! Combining a delicious mix of raw porridge oats, apple juice, frozen berries and ultra-trendy chia seeds, they’re great for the whole family, and will keep hunger at bay until lunchtime.
½ American cup, tightly packed (60g) porridge oats
1 tsp chia seeds
1 tsp ground flax seed (optional)
handful of frozen berries (we like raspberries and blueberries)
125ml apple juice or, if you want a creamier texture, substitute almond or other nut milk
1. Put the oats, chia seeds, and, if using flax seed, in a glass, mug or jam jar (I use washed-out, old Nutella jars). Stir together to disperse the chia seeds and stop them from clumping together.
2. Sprinkle the frozen berries on top.
3. Cover the oat and fruit mixture with apple juice, or your chosen nut milk, pouring slowly as the oats will absorb some of the liquid immediately.
4. Stir gently, but well, then cover and put in the fridge over-night for the ingredients to meld together and become deliciously creamy.
5. Next morning, stir again before tucking in, maybe with a blob of coconut-milk yoghurt on top if you’re feeling indulgent!
A NOTE ABOUT CHIA SEEDS:
Don’t pay exorbitant supermarket prices for chia seeds. I usually get mine online, from Real Food Source, which also does great, raw-as-it-gets, cacao powder, and other well-priced superfoods: